Golden Beets – These are wonderfully sweet. You can only find the golden beets in the organic section. They always come with the greens. To take advantage of the greens, immediately cut greens from beets and use within 1-2 days.
- Slice ribs from greens. Throw away the largest, tough greens & ribs.
- Chop ribs and greens separately.
- Wash well – usually sandy. Keep greens in cold water.
- Using olive oil, saute some chopped onion with the stems until they begin to soften. Add red pepper flakes or whatever hot spices you desire.
- Pick the greens out of the water with your hand. Add to the pan still dripping slightly with water.
- Saute about 5 min., taste to confirm doneness. Set aside.
- Sprinkle with balsamic or cider vinegar.
- Peel beets.
- Cut into cubes.
- Place in a bowl and add olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place beets on a sheet pan. Do not pour all the oil on the pan. Just use what is coating beets.
- Put in oven for 30-45 min.
- Serve Beets on greens or separate.